Welcome back… yesterday was a rough day for watching the news. I am seeing a ton of racist commentary and I needed space to reflect on my whiteness before coming back to write. I want to mention that I will be expressing my own frustrations but that those do not compare to those in any BIPOC community. This is a personal blog, so I am centering myself, but I also understand that this is not about me in the end of the day. Took a break yesterday and I am back and ready to share updates. And I have a lot to say today!!
- Video shows a rocket attack on Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second largest city. At least 7 were killed. In Kyiv, a projectile took out the main TV tower. The Russian Defense claims that they are not targeting any kind of civilian infrastructure. More thoughts on this later.
- We have a humanitarian update. An estimated 500,000 people have fled, with mothers handing their children over their border in desperation. The UN is estimating an increase to 4 million peoples displaced in the next couple of days.
- The Russian convoy is now estimated to be 40 miles long, heading for the capital of Kyiv. Looks to be a long night, yet again.
- Switzerland. For the first time. Ditches neutrality. Sanctions Russia and Putin. I honestly can say I was not expecting this one. However, it is very important as Switzerland is a major hub for Russian elites to store wealth.
- Congress members in the United States pushing for an increase to the humanitarian package for the crisis in Ukraine. The issue with this is that it is very difficult to get the supplies into the area. It will be interesting to see the response in Washington.
- As approved in 2016, foreign nationals are able to join the International Legion of Territorial Defense. This meaning we are seeing an influx of veterans traveling from USA, Canada and various countries to join the foreign legion to fight against Russia on the front lines with the Ukrainian military.
- Kharkiv is back under full Ukrainian control.
- Ghost of Kyiv- according to primary sources he is very much so real. Though it seems there are some fabricated details, it can be confirmed that this fighter pilot has taken down at least 6 Russian jets. Making them the first “ace” [fighter pilot who takes down at least 5 aircrafts] likely since WWII. Badass.
- China breaks silence and ‘regrets’ causalities but still refuses to condemn Putin and still refuse to call it an invasion. They have made it clear that they want to take no part in enacting sanctions but have emphasized support of diplomatic solutions without “Cold War tendencies”. Chinese embassy representative in Washington called any whispers of China backing Russia’s attacks a “conspiracy theory”. At the beginning of the invasion China’s foreign ministry had claimed they had not attempted to contact any Ukrainian counterparts because they were “very busy”. They proceeded to contact their Russian counterpart hours later.
- Elon Musk moves his Starlink satellites over Ukraine to provide emergency internet access.
- Diplomats in UN walk out on the Russian Foreign minister when given the floor.
Go watch here. Amazing show of solidarity.
As always, I have a lot of opinions and thoughts that I would like to share. I am going to try to run parallel with my list of updates.
Russia claiming that they are not targeting civilian infrastructure is comical. I think that they are forgetting that in this new age of war there is this thing called social media. Meaning there is so much information coming from primary sources that are showing the destruction of various apartment buildings. Not to mention the fact that there are quite literally soldiers that are posting on social media daily.
Speaking of the new age of war, did you know that Ukrainian women have been catfishing Russian soldiers on Tinder in order to gain information? This is something I would like to call, “if you can’t beat the patriarchy, might as well use it to your benefit”.
This humanitarian crisis is awful. I want to preface what I am about to say with the fact that this is terrible and difficult to watch. However, this energy is only ever prevalent to white people. Americans specifically- I am speaking to you (solely because I am living in America and witnessing it here). I find it unironic that news outlets are showing the desperation of mothers passing their children over the border. Looks vaguely familiar to me. When it’s white women who are willing to sacrifice everything in order to provide some kind of safety to their children it is admirable but when they are Black or Brown that bravery disappears.
That brings me to my next point. I have been hearing a whole lot of bullshit. The level of ignorance and insensitivity is insane, but not surprising.
To those saying, “Americans never went through war on their homeland like this…” ummm yes, we have, and I promise you that the Indigenous population remember. And stop talking about the wars that furthered colonization. As white people, we need to stop centering ourselves.
How about the broadcaster who KNEW he was going to be in trouble for saying that the Ukraine and Russia conflict is different because they are more civilized? There seems to be a variation of “this is different than the Middle East/Africa because…” in every single article and broadcast. Ahmed Ali pointed out that this proves that we believe Black/Brown people naturally deserve war, famine and violence.
How about the Syrian, Afghan and Yemini refugees who have been denied shelter, yet every country is opening space for Ukrainians? Think about Palestinians watching the SAME situation condemned. I want to remind you it is the same countries who are condemning Russia/Putin who support the Israeli occupation.
I am frustrated, yes. I want to extend my sympathies to BIPOC communities. This can/will be especially triggering for some, and I urge you to stop and think before you speak and center your whiteness in the conversation.
Moving on to China- I am going to be honest. Do I think they are shady? Absolutely. I mean to be fair; it is really no secret who they align with and who they tolerate. Right now, they still are very quiet. I think they are monitoring the situation, but the fact they won’t condemn Putin and won’t acknowledge this as an invasion tells us what we need to know. I would be interested to see what they say/do over the next couple of days.
As we talk about the actions of nations, I urge you to remind yourself to remove citizens from this. When I speak opinions of Nations, it is just that. I hate the United States and do not support most actions, as an America. Please extend this to the many in disagreement with the actions of their nation.
Yo…Elon Musk pulled a Tony Stark on us. If this did not scare you, let me tell you why it probably should… billionaires really are their own nation state. He (as an individual) had the power to provide his own personal satellites in order to protect Ukraine from losing their internet. I think this is very telling of our future. He completely bypassed laws to make this happen. There is ZERO regulations, and this man has the resources to provide his own support during a war…let that really sink in and think about what this means for the future.
The last thing I would like to comment on for today is that the response of the world elites, citizens around the world, and nations is very telling as to what is to come. This is simply a spark; it feels like it is getting hotter and hotter, and the world is about to explode. Do I think that Russia/Ukraine was the first spark? Fuck no. Do I think that it added another piece to the outrage felt around the globe? Yes. People are angry and more than ever we are seeing who is truly calling the shots and the severe imbalance of power.
I am going to go hermit and collect information as it happens. Opening my heart to everyone triggered and affected by this. Take care people!
If you are looking for a place to donate or my favorite news outlets go check out my first article and scroll to the bottom.